Wake - Meditate - Green Smoothie
It can be hard after the holidays to get back into the swing of things... going back to work, eating healthy, and working off all those holidays cookies. One of the most important things for me to stay focused is a morning routine.
My trusty alarm clock (aka my dog) wakes me up around sunrise every morning. I try to practice a mini, morning meditation every day, even if it is only 5 minutes (because sometimes that is as long as my pets will allow). Ideally, I go to my little "sacred space" where I can sit in peace, but sometimes the snooze button gets the best of me and I stay in bed. As long as you take a moment or two for yourself to focus on your breath and set an intention for the day then you can check morning mediation off your list. No one says you have to be sitting in lotus pose for an hour for it to count. This moment is for you.
I always eat breakfast. Eating breakfast gives me the energy boost I need and its one of my favorite meals of the day. I say one of my favorites because honestly, they are all my favorite. Below is my go to green smoothie recipe that I drink pretty much every day. I guess its technically not a green smoothie, but it has greens in it so I'm counting it. I'm not one to sticking to recipes though, so feel free to mix it up and add whatever extras you wish (chia seeds, flax seeds, coconut, acai, the possibilities are endless).
Greens and Things...
- couple large handfuls of fresh spinach (frozen spinach works too, but I prefer fresh)
- handful of frozen mixed berries (some combination of whatever I have in the freezer: raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries)
- few chunks of frozen mango or pineapple
- small handful of shredded carrot
- greens powder (I use ItWorks Greens on the Go in berry flavor you can purchase them here)
- protein powder (currently obsessed with Vega Coconut Almond vegan protein powder or Designer Perfectly Unflavored Protein)
- enough liquid to blend (I typically use water but sometimes I wake up to surprise coconuts that my neighbor threw over the fence and I'll throw some coconut water in there too)
Be careful with using juice in your smoothies because they are FULL of sugar. If you want more flavor try using a nut milk or opt for a juice with no added sugar. You can also add natural sweetners like honey or agave nectar.
Blend and Enjoy :)